Rajnath condemns church attacks, promises swift action

  • HT Correspondent and Agencies
  • Updated: Mar 23, 2015 00:03 IST

Union home minister Rajnath Singh on Sunday said the Centre will not tolerate activities targeting places of worship. Singh’s statement comes as three churches were vandalized in Madhya Pradesh’s Jabalpur district on Friday and police are yet to get any concrete leads in Saturday’s attack on a church in Navi Mumbai.

Around 50 persons attacked three churches in Jabalpur on Friday night. They alleged the church of promoting conversion.

They first vandalised the Parish House located inside the St Peter & Paul Church and later attacked St Thomas and St Aloysius churches. Over a dozen persons were injured in the incident, one of them critically.

On Saturday, three unidentified men hurled stones inside a church compound in New Panvel of Navi Mumbai. The attackers also damaged the glass enclosure of the statue of Saint George.

As per reports, a case has been registered at the Khandeshwar Police Station and investigations are on into the matter. However, no one has been arrested so far.

Meanwhile, Singh said the Centre will not tolerate attacks on places of worship of any faith and promised swift action against perpetrators.

“India is the most tolerant country in the world. Whether it is the attack on a temple or a mosque or any religious place, whatever action is required under the law will be done. There is no need to create a sense of fear among minorities, we should instead instil confidence,” Singh said.

Navi Mumbai church authorities reportedly said the attackers could not be identified as they had hidden their faces.

also read

Chhattisgarh’s BJP govt to replicate Punjab CM Badal’s sangat darshan programme
Show comments