A Delhi court on Wednesday allowed one day custodial interrogation of a man, who allegedly appeared in one of the sex videos being probed by the CBI at the direction of the Supreme Court.
Subrat Sahu, a property dealer, was arrested by CBI from Bhubaneswar yesterday and brought to Delhi on transit remand. He was produced before Metropolitan Magistrate Sujit Saurabh who allowed CBI to interrogate him for a day.
"It is submitted by senior public prosecutor that 10 days police remand is required to identify victims, places of occurence, modus operandi of accused and his associates, recovery of articles including mobiles, camera etc which are used in the offences.
"In view of the facts and circumstances of the case, one day police custody would suffice for investigation and if required further extension can be sought," the magistrate said.
During the hearing, senior public prosecutor A K Singh, appearing for CBI, told the court that in none of the cases, the time and place of crime, identity of victims and offenders who are visible in the video, are clear.
The arrest took place after the Supreme Court ordered the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to probe the videos of rapes or gangrapes of unidentified victims uploaded on social networking sites, including WatsApp, by unknown people.
CBI has booked Sahu on charges of common intention, propagating obscene material and assault to woman with intent to outrage her modesty under provisions of Indian Penal Code, besides sections of the Information Technology Act relating to violation of privacy and publishing or transmitting obscene material in electronic form.
The apex court had taken suo motu note of a letter of Hyderabad-based NGO Prajwala on the posting of two rape videos on WhatsApp and had asked CBI to launch a probe forthwith to nab the culprits.
The agency has lodged eight regular cases (RCs) and a preliminary investigation and has so far, identified culprits in two cases.