Take on record the captured Pakistani gunman’s statement admitting his role in the Mumbai terror strike and use it at an appropriate time, the prosecution told the special court on Wednesday.
But Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab’s lawyer Abbas Kazmi argued that the special court could not take his client’s statement on record without accepting his plea of guilt.
Kazmi added that the court had two options: Either accept the statement along with the plea of guilt, pronounce a verdict and end the trial or reject and discard the statement.
Special Judge ML Taheliyani is expected to pronounce the verdict on Thursday.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam argued that Kasab (21), an alleged Lashkar-e-Tayyeba operative, has not admitted anything other than his involvement in the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus firing and the robbery of the Skoda on November 26, 2008.
Nikam argued that Kasab’s statement was not consistent with the evidence presented by the prosecution, so far.
He added that Kasab had omitted many things from the statement recorded on Monday that he had admitted in his confessional statement recorded by a judicial magistrate on December 17.
Kasab did not elaborate on the murder of trawler MV Kuber’s navigator Amarsinh Solanki; planting the RDX bomb in the taxi that exploded at Vile Parle, killing two; shooting down three people on Badruddin Tayyebji Marg before entering Cama hospital, Nikam said.
He also did not mention about participating in the encounter on the hospital’s sixth floor, killing Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Hemant Karkare, Additional Commissioner of Police Ashok Kamte, encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar and Assistant Sub-Inspector Tukaram Ombale.
“Very cleverly, Kasab has admitted only the basic facts and given a secondary role to himself in his statement before the special court,” Nikam said.
Pointing out to the legal provisions in Pakistan, Nikam claimed that admitting his guilt in the middle of the trial was logically a move to safeguard “his bosses in Pakistan”.
A chargesheet has been filed in Pakistan against some of the conspirators of the terror strike and the trial is scheduled to commence soon.
But Judge Taheliyani rejected this ‘logical conclusion’ and said: “I don’t think so.”