Released collector reaches Sukma, CM denies deal with Naxals | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 23, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Released collector reaches Sukma, CM denies deal with Naxals

Chhattisgarh's Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon reached home today morning, 13 days after he had been kidnapped by the Maoists. Chief minister Raman Singh said no secret agreements had been made with Naxas in exchange for the release of Menon.

india Updated: May 04, 2012 11:14 IST
Sukma-collector-Alex-Paul-Menon-talks-to-the-media-after-he-was-released-by-the-Naxals-in-Chintalnar-PTI-photo
Sukma-collector-Alex-Paul-Menon-talks-to-the-media-after-he-was-released-by-the-Naxals-in-Chintalnar-PTI-photo

Chhattisgarh's Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon reached home on Friday morning, 13 days after he had been kidnapped by the Maoists.

His wife Asha, who is pregnant, was there to receive him at the door of their home. As he was greeted by his wife and other family members with the traditional 'aarti', scores of media personnel jostled with each other to capture the moment. There were also many locals from Sukma to greet Menon.

Chhattisgarh chief minister Raman Singh has said that no secret agreements had been made with Maoists in exchange for the release of Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon.

"The agreement with the Maoists is not a secret document and has been put in the public domain on the website," Raman Singh told reporters in Chhattisgarh.

He was reacting to reports of Maoists claiming that the Chhattisgarh government had agreed to release some prisoners from jail.

"A committee headed by state chief secretary has started its work and it will look into cases registered against innocent people across state jails," he said.

He denied having agreed to any other agreement with Maoists. "Nothing else has been agreed to," he added.

Menon, the 32-year-old Indian Administrative Service official, had emerged on Thursday from captivity at 6.30 pm, accompanied by Maoist mediators, in Tarmetla, a tiny forested hamlet.

Menon had been abducted from a forested area in the Bastar region of Chhattisgarh on April 21. The Maoists took him away after murdering his two bodyguards Amjad Khan and Kishen Kujur.

He is believed to have been held by Maoists deep in a forest, amid multiple layers of security.

Menon's release was ensured after Maoist interlocutors and government mediators Nirmala Buch and SK Mishra signed a two-page agreement Monday night.

In line with the pact, a high-power committee will be set up to look into all demands made by the Maoists.

These include considering the release of Maoists jailed allegedly on fake charges.

(With inputs from PTI, IANS)