Amidst growing complaints of not receiving essential supplies by people in Lalgarh and surrounding villages where security forces are engaged in anti-Maoist operation, West Midnapore District Magistrate N S Nigam on Tuesday said steps were being taken to strengthen the relief supply.
Nigam, who made an on-the-spot assessment of the supply, told reporters in Lalgarh that steps were being taken to strengthen the supply of foodstuff and medicines to the people who are suffering ever since the anti-Maoist operation was launched.
He said the administration was also trying to tidy up the public distribution system.
"We have a meeting with local ration dealers to restart the sale of rice and pulses to villagers at a cheap rate," he said.
Saying there was no dearth of supply at Midnapore town, he pointed out that 300 metric tonnes of stock had been allotted to maintain the supply line to Lalgarh and other
places like Salboni, Goaltore and Jhargram.
He said the earlier stock had been exhausted and rice was given to a few hundred villagers. He had also asked the BDOs to begin the NREGA programme for the villages and start giving old age pension.
Asked if people in Maoist-controlled villages would also get the supply, Nigam said there would be no "discrimination" in the supply of relief.