Renault give in, Briatore resigns | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 26, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Renault give in, Briatore resigns

Renault parted company with flamboyant Formula One team boss Flavio Briatore and his deputy Pat Symonds on Wednesday after admitting to cheating at last year's Singapore Grand Prix. See graphics

india Updated: Sep 17, 2009 01:44 IST

Team chief Flavio Briatore on Wednesday sensationally quit the Renault Formula One team, which has been hit by serious allegations of cheating at last year's Grand Prix in Singapore, the team announced in a statement.

Renault said in a short statement that Briatore and Pat Symonds, the director of engineering, had both left the team ahead of a meeting on Monday with the sport's world ruling body the FIA to explain recent allegations of race-fixing.

The statement said: "The team announces that its team chief, Flavio Briatore, and its director of engineering Pat Symonds have quit the team."

Renault have been summoned to appear before the FIA's International Motor Sport Council in Paris on September 21 to answer claims by Nelson Piquet junior that he was asked by Renault to crash deliberately during the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, so giving a race-winning advantage to his team-mate Spaniard Fernando Alonso.

If Renault are found guilty of race-fixing, they could be expelled from the sport for the role they played in an affair which has been dubbed 'crashgate'.

The team had denied all of the claims made against them by Piquet junior, who was dismissed by the team in July after being told he had failed to perform to expectations.

But on Wednesday Renault appeared to partly admit some role in the controversy by adding in the statement they "would not contest the FIA's recent allegations concerning the Singapore Grand Prix".

The statement added: "Before participating at the FIA's International Motor Sport Council hearing in Paris on September 21, the team will make no further commment."

Crashgate
Crashed Renault car
Track marshals recover the crashed Renault car of Nelson Piquet during the Singapore F1 Grand Prix in this September 28, 2008 file photo.


A report by The Times on Tuesday, citing unnamed sources, claimed the FIA had offered Renault second-in-command immunity from punishment in exchange for full disclosure about crashgate.

The report said that Symonds was told that if he came clean over how and why Nelson Piquet junior drove his car into the barriers in Singapore in 2008, he would escape sanctions.

Former driver Piquet and his father, three-time world champion Nelson Piquet senior, claimed that Renault conspired to fix the outcome of last year's race.

In response Renault accused Piquet of blackmail and announced they were launching criminal proceedings against him and his father.

Briatore denied all the accusations against him -- notably conspiring with team management and Piquet to cause a deliberate accident -- saying they were "outrageous lies".

Stewards investigating the claims interviewed Symonds at the Belgian Grand Prix late last month.

More graphics