Renuka Chowdhury sends team to probe Mangalore pub assault
The Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhury has sent a two-member team to conduct an independent probe into the assault on women in a Manglore pub, says an official.india Updated: Feb 01, 2009 15:35 IST
The Women and Child Development (WCD) Minister Renuka Chowdhury has sent a two-member team to conduct an independent probe into the attack last month on women in a Manglore pub, an official said in New Delhi on Sunday.
Around 40 members of Sri Rama Sene (army of god Rama) barged into a Mangalore pub 'Amnesia' on Jan 24 and bashed up several young men and women in the name of moral policing.
"The National Commission for Women (NCW) had sent a team to probe the Mangalore incident but their report has not yet come. Therefore, realising the urgency of the issue, the ministry has sent a two-member team to probe the matter," a ministry official told IANS.
The WCD team, led by joint secretary Kiran Chadha, left for Mangalore Saturday night.
"The team will return in a day or two and submit a report on the matter," the official added.
A three-member NCW team, led by Nirmala Venkatesh, visited the pub and said that the license of the pub should be cancelled as it was illegally allowing live band performances and lacked proper security.
Venkatesh's comment was, however, contradicted by the commission's chairperson Girija Vyas.