Rescue operations wind down, finally | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 23, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Rescue operations wind down, finally

It’s been a fortnight since the Uttarakhand tragedy and rescue operations are winding down. The number of visitors — mostly relatives of missing people — to the helidrome in Dehradun has dropped and on Saturday there were no sorties though the help desk counters remained open. HT reports.

india Updated: Jun 29, 2013 23:38 IST
HT Correspondent

It’s been a fortnight since the Uttarakhand tragedy and rescue operations are winding down. The number of visitors — mostly relatives of missing people — to the helidrome in Dehradun has dropped and on Saturday there were no sorties though the help desk counters remained open.

Dr Vinita Chandra from the primary health centre, Nehrugram, Dehradun, said, there were no rescued persons to administer treatment to. “We have been waiting with medicines and equipment but no flights have landed here for a while now.”

Chief secretary of Uttarakhand Subhash Kumar said around 500 stranded pilgrims still needed to be rescued from Badrinath and if the weather improved they would be evacuated on Sunday.

Kumar also said that out of the 3,727 disaster-affected villages, power supply to 638 villages had been cut off initially, but now only 475 villages were without electricity.