Resolving contract row top priority: Riley
The newly elected director of the West Indies Cricket Board, said revenue coming from WC 2007 could be used to sort out the problem.india Updated: Aug 10, 2006 18:22 IST
Conde Riley, elected as new West Indies Cricket Board director in place of former West Indies opener Desmond Haynes, says sorting out of the contract row is his top priority.
Haynes was seventh choice for the four-member board of directors garnering only 51 votes against Riley's 73 to join president Tony Marshall, who won 89 votes, in a six-man poll to elect two WICB directors at the BCA's fourth special meeting at Sherbourne Conference Centre last night.
Riley, a BCA board member since 1996, surprised some observers with his election as a WICB director.
"In terms of being a director, one of the first things I'd like to see happen is for the contracts dispute sorted out," Riley said.
"There is a lot of revenue coming from the World Cup next year and I hope that some of that money could be used to sort this problem out," he was quoted as saying by the The Nation.
Besides Riley and Haynes, who was last year elected as the BCA first vice-president and a WICB director, other candidates were Joel Garner (47), Orson Simpson (34) and Hartley Reid (13).
Riley was also ahead in a six-man race to elect four BCA board members, polling 89 votes, while Rickey Craig, whose services as chief executive officer of the Barbados Cricket Association (BCA) ended in controversial circumstances less than a year ago, received 88.