Restrictions continue in parts of south Kashmir | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 19, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Restrictions continue in parts of south Kashmir

india Updated: Feb 19, 2013 13:44 IST
Highlight Story

Restrictions continued for the second day on Tuesday in parts of the south Kashmir where clashes erupted yesterday following death of a 60-year-old woman allegedly after security forces raided her house.

However, Army and police have denied any such raid being conducted particularly the house where the woman had died while some political parties have demanded judicial probe into the incident.

Residents of Khudwani and Qaimoh in Kulgam district of south Kashmir alleged that they were not allowed to move out of their houses by the security forces and police personnel deployed since yesterday.

They said repeated announcements were made that curfew has been imposed since yesterday.

However, police said restrictions under section 144 CrPc were being implanted strictly to maintain peace. People took to streets yesterday alleging that a woman Nazeera had died due to cardiac arrest after security forces beat her during a raid on her house during previous night.

Security forces resorted to lathicharge and later burst teargas shells to disperse the demonstrators.

Meanwhile, a defence ministry spokesperson Lt Colonel JS Brar in a brief statement here last evening said there has been wide speculation in the media that a woman, whose death happened in village Chidura, Kulgam due to natural causes had the involvement of the Army.

The Army was no where involved in the death of woman, Lt Col Brar said.

However, a police spokesperson said according to district police authorities, last night, Kulgam police and 9 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) on a tip-off regarding presence of militants in the house of Ghulam Qadir Ganie at village Chidar, Kulgam laid a cordon around the house including a few adjacent houses, and the search operation was on.

The house of late Ali Mohammad Dar was outside the cordon he said adding that later it was learnt that the old woman Nazeera complained of ill health and was rushed to the hospital where doctors declared her dead.

He said the house where the woman resided was not in the cordon area, and no search was being carried in that house.

The body was handed over to her legal heir after the completion of post-mortem and other legal formalities.

The Communist Party of India (M) state secretary Mohammad Yousuf Targami referring to the incident demanded a time bound magisterial inquiry into the incident to find out the truth. The incident is highly condemnable and a stern action under law must be taken against the culprits.