Robredo, Ancic move into quarters in Mumbai Open
Top seeds Tommy Robredo and Mario Ancic overcame stiff second round challenges to move into the quarter-finals of the inaugural event.india Updated: Sep 29, 2006 13:05 IST
Top seeds Tommy Robredo and Mario Ancic overcame stiff second round challenges to move into the quarter-finals of the inaugural Mumbai Open on Thursday.
Croatia's world number 11 Ancic beat Italian Stefano Galvani 6-1, 7-6 while top seed Robredo of Spain came back from a set down to beat left-handed German Michael Berrer 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 in a two-hour match.
"He has a great return of serve. I came in really aggressive in the second set and took my chances," said the big-serving Ancic, who was runner-up to Cypriot Marcus Baghdatis in China two weeks ago following his return from a knee injury.
The two-month injury layoff marred a superb season for Ancic in which he broke into the world's top 10 for the first time.
"It (my fitness) is coming back, but of course, match situations are always different from practice," the 22-year-old said. "So far so good and I am looking forward to the next match."
Ancic will next meet Austrian Stefan Koubek after he beat unseeded Frenchman Nicholas Devilder 7-5, 6-3.
World number seven Robredo was broken in the 12th game of the first set, but discovered his rhythm in the next two to regain control of the match.
Robredo will meet Paraguay's Ramon Delgado in the quarter-finals. Delgado was leading his second-round match 6-3, 4-1 when Argentine Juan Martin Del Potro retired with a stomach problem.
Russian Dmitry Tursunov, the fourth seed, defeated Denmark's Kristian Pless 6-7, 6-3, 6-4. He will face British qualifier James Auckland, ranked 414th in the world, who saw off eighth seed South African Wesley Moodie 7-6, 7-6.
Third seed Czech Tomas Berdych laboured past German Simon Greul 7-6, 6-4 to line up German Bjorn Phau in the quarter-finals.