Sajid arrest follow up for early edition | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 16, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Sajid arrest follow up for early edition

india Updated: Nov 10, 2014 19:47 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Sheikh Rehmatulla alias Sajid, a key person of Khagragore blast case that took place on October 2, came to India in 2012. He was sent to monitor the activities of the operatives of Jamaat-ul-Muhahideen in India. During investigation, the sleuths of national investigation agency (NIA) came to know. He was known as ‘Borda’ in the terrorist organization.

“He is the kingpin of this group and his work was to sent necessary instructions to other operatives,” said a NIA sleuth.

After the Khagragore blast took place, the police arrested Rajira Bibi, whose husband Shakil Ahemed died on the spot and Amina Bibi, wife of Abdul Hakim. Hakim was seriously injured in the blast and he is now in NIA custody.

“Both women and Hakim gave information to various investigating agencies including NIA about Sajid since the latter would go to Simulia madrassa of Mangolkot to meet Kausar and Yusuf to monitor how the students were being given jihadi lessons,” said the NIA sleuth. The cops of Bidhannagar Police have found some fake identity cards out of which has been procured against the name of Borhan Sheikh, a resident of Simulia of Burdwan who donated land to Sheikh Yusuf for a madrassa. NIA is looking for Borhan Sheikh.

A Bangladeshi national Sajid was so much cautious that he never used cell-phone but would give instruction to his operatives from telephone booths. “He would not stay at one place for more than 10 to 12 days and would always change his address frequently,” said the NIA sleuth.

“He had formed a vast network across unrecognized madrassas located close to West Bengal and Bangladesh in the bordering districts of Bengal, and he had visited and stayed several times in those madrassas,” the NIA source said.

In 2012, Sajid entered India through Lalgola border and started staying there. In Bangladesh he was imprisoned in 2010 and had an idea that police might trace him through cell-phone network. And for this he never used cell-phone.

“Many operatives of his group have even never seen him but had interacted with him over cell-phone,” said the NIA source.

On October 2 after the Khagragore blast took place, Sajid watched it on television and decided to flee from his hideout in Murshidabad.

“He went Jharkhand and started staying there at a religious place. But during his stay he started facing a financial crunch and for this he returned to Bengal. But prior to his return he contacted his But prior to his return he contacted his Bangladeshi cohorts who asked him to collect money that was sent through hawala,” the NIA source said.

The officer said that hawala racketeers are very much active in North 24 parganas and Sajid had collected money several times through this chain. But finally on Saturday he was nabbed while he was going to collect money from a hawala businessman.

Meanwhile, the sleuths of NIA have interrogated Isha Mondal, a resident of Patna village of Bhatar of Burdwan on Sunday. Prior to the blast, some suspected calls were made at his cell-phone. Mondal was interrogated on Saturday too.