Sanjiv Bhatt's security cover removed
IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt's has sought adequate security cover for himself and his family after the Gujarat police decided to withdraw it, directing five constables deployed with him to report back to Junagadh.india Updated: Apr 29, 2011 19:15 IST
IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt's has sought adequate security cover for himself and his family after the Gujarat police decided to withdraw it, directing five constables deployed with him to report back to Junagadh.
"Yesterday, the DGP issued orders asking all the five constables from the SRPTC deployed with us as a makshift security arrangement for me and my family, to report back to Junagadh," Bhatt, who is currently on leave said.
He said that this is the second such order asking for withdrawl of the security for him and his family, despite he being recommended Y-category security by the State Intelligence Bureau (SIB).
Earlier this month, ADGP (training) had ordered that the five men and vehicle deployed with Bhatt be sent back to Junagadh, where he is posted as principal, State Reserve Police Training Centre (SRPTC).
"In first week of March after the Tehelka story (on my statement), there was an assessment done on the threat to me and my family by the SIB and then later by the Ahmedabad police commissioner. Both have recommended at least Y-category security cover for me and my family," Bhatt said.
Bhatt in his affidavit filed in the Supreme Court had alleged that Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi instructed officers during a late night meeting held on February 27, 2002, to allow Hindus "to vent out their anger" during the clashes and he wanted Muslims to be "taught a lesson".
The 1988-batch IPS officer said that he was capable of taking care of himself, but was concerned about his family's security in the given circumstances, especially after the filing of the affidavit in the Supreme Court.