Suspended Gujarat IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt has accused the Supreme Court-appointed special investigation team (SIT) of undermining the credibility of the documentary evidence produced by him (Bhatt) to shield chief minister Narendra Modi and others.
The SIT report, which became public last week, has absolved Modi of his role in the 2002 post-Godhra riots in which 1,200 people were killed.
In a letter to the SIT, Bhatt has claimed that the RK Raghavan-led panel carried out further probe even after the SC had directed it to submit its final report along with the entire material collected, before a magisterial court in Ahmedabad.
“It is very apparent from the report that the said further investigation has been carried out after September 12, 2011 (After the SC order) with the sole purpose of shielding Modi and others,” Bhatt stated in the letter.
After the SC order, the SIT had probed the veracity of the two fax messages produced by Bhatt, who had claimed to have sent the messages to Modi and others to inform them of the deteriorating law and order at Gulberg society where life of a former MP had been in danger.
The MP, Ehsan Jafri, was killed, along with 68 others, in the Gulberg society massacre on February 28, 2002.
The final SIT report has said the two faxes were not genuine, as no original documents were found from the state intelligence bureau records. Bhatt, however, has accused the SIT of conniving with the Gujarat authorities in selectively destroying potentially incriminating documents.