The Supreme Court on Monday stayed the Allahabad High Court order restraining Centre from providing financial subsidies to Haj pilgrims.
A Bench headed by Chief Justice YK Sabbhawal made it clear that the order pertains to the Haj pilgrimage for this year only.
While staying the interim order of the Allahabad High Court, the court took into consideration the arrangements made by the government for this year's Haj scheduled for November.
The Bench asked the High Court to deal expeditiously with the pending petition in this regard.
Solicitor General GE Vahanvati had sought stay of the order contending that it has a far reaching effect as the entire arrangements done for the Haj would be affected and it would be a big setback for the country in terms of international image.
Further, it said there has been an arrangement with the Saudi Airlines for the Haj pilgrims and if it was cancelled, there would be a huge economic loss to the state exchequer.
The SG said the Government had already entered into agreement with Saudi Arabia about the accomodation of 1.49 lakh people.