Schumacher fastest on second day of Jerez testing
The former seven-time world champion set the fastest time on the second day of pre-season testing at the Circuito de Jerez as Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber impressed with the second fastest time. HT reports.india Updated: Feb 09, 2012 11:31 IST
Former seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher set the fastest time on the second day of pre-season testing at the Circuito de Jerez on Wednesday as Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber impressed with the second fastest time.
Schumacher's time of 1min.18.561sec was set in the 2011-spec Mercedes W02 as the team is yet to launch its new car, opting to focus on collecting data on the 2012-spec Pirelli tyres.
Webber led all the other drivers who were driving in their 2012-spec race cars, with the exception of Pedro de la Rosa's HRT F111, with a time of 1m19.184s. The only other driver to set a time below the 1m20s barrier was Toro Rosso's Daniel Ricciardo who clocked a 1m19.587s lap in the morning session of the day.
Caterham's Heikki Kovalainen completed the most number of laps with 139 to clock up a staggering 615.492 kilometers in a single day. Michael Schumacher was next up with 132 laps completed while yesterday's pacesetter Kimi Raikkonen notched up 117 laps and set the fifth fastest time of the day with a 1m20.239s lap.
The teams will continue to test at the circuit located in eastern Spain on Thursday and Friday before taking a ten day break and then resuming testing from 21 February at the Circuit de Catalunya near Barcelona. Mercedes and HRT are expected to have their 2012-spec cars ready for that test as well as the third and final pre-season test at the Circuit de Catalunya from 1 to 4 March.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m18.561s 132
2. Mark Webber Red Bull 1m19.184s + 0.623 97
3. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso 1m19.587s + 1.026 100
4. Jules Bianchi Force India 1m20.221s + 1.660 46
5. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus 1m20.239s + 1.678 117
6. Paul di Resta Force India 1m20.272s + 1.711 69
7. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m20.454s + 1.893 95
8. Jenson Button McLaren 1m20.688s + 2.127 85
9. Sergio Perez Sauber 1m20.711s + 2.150 68
10. Pastor Maldonado Williams 1m21.197s + 2.636 97
11. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham 1m21.518s + 2.957 139
12. Pedro de la Rosa HRT 1m22.128s + 3.567 64