Senior Andhra cop's family to be quizzed on constable's death | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 30, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Senior Andhra cop's family to be quizzed on constable's death

india Updated: Aug 07, 2009 17:35 IST

A police team from Madhya Pradesh will leave for New Delhi on Saturday to quiz the family members of Andhra Pradesh anti-terror unit chief Vivek Dubey in connection with the mysterious death of a constable of the southern state's armed reserve, official sources in Bhopal said on Friday.

Muralinath, 42, was found dead by the roadside in Jaitpur village in Bhind district of Madhya Pradesh July 30.

The constable was allegedly sent to work July 20 with the family of OCTOPUS (Organisation to Counter Terrorist Operations) chief and Additional Director General of Police Vivek Dubey in Delhi's satellite town Noida.

Police will inquire whether Dubey's family members had harassed Muralinath in any manner.

"They will question the ADG's wife, daughter and other family members besides the servants working in the house," an official said.

Besides recording the statements of Dubey and his family, the Madhya Pradesh police team will question Andhra Pradesh Armed Reserve Commandant Abraham Lincoln to know if the constable's posting was official.

On August 3, Madhya Pradesh police managed to locate Muralinath's family by dialling a number that was found saved with name "Maa" in the memory of his mobile phone.

After receiving the news of Muralinath's death, his wife Kavita alleged foul play and petitioned for a detailed inquiry and fresh post-mortem. She has also demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inquiry.

The report of the first autopsy conducted in Madhya Pardesh said the cause of Muralinath's death was "cardio respiratory failure". It added that there was no evidence of consumption of poison or alcohol.

However, the initial report of the second autopsy conducted August 4 by a team of four forensic doctors at Osmania General Hospital in Andhra Pradesh stated that Muralinath had injuries on his scalp and back and died due to bleeding in the brain.

"Signs of intra-cranial bleeding on the scalp were evident. He fell on his back maybe under the influence of a drug or alcohol," an official said, quoting the report.

Whi1e the investigating agencies in both states are to confirm whether the fall was accidental, they are also clueless about how the constable landed up in Madhya Pradesh and in what circumstances he died.

The investigators are confused about how he arrived in Jaitpur village since it has no link with the Delhi-Hyderabad train or bus routes.

S S Chahal, the investigating officer, said that the circumstantial evidence and first autposy report have led police to believe that the constable died of either a heart attack or fits.

"We were trying to get call details on his mobile phone. As the SIM card from his mobile is missing, we have contacted the service provider to give us details of various tower locations starting from Noida to know the places he had visited before finally coming to Bhind," said Chahal.

"Initial enquiries have revealed that Muralinath had left Dubey's house in Noida July 28 to buy medicines," said another officer.

Sources said Dubey had managed to send around three dozens constables from the armed reserve to serve his family in Noida and Muralinath was one of them. Apart from cooking and driving, these men reportedly washed clothes and fetched vegetables for the family on rotation basis.