A couple whose only son underwent a sex change operation have sued a hospital for compensation and to have the surgery reversed because their 'family line' was broken, a Chinese newspaper reported.
The Yancheng Evening News said the parents and relatives of a person whose name the newspaper gave as Xie Xiaoxin also became violent and occupied a ward at the hospital for 11 days in September in an attempt to get US$3.6 million (euro2.7 million) in compensation and their son's gender changed again.
The newspaper is published in Guangzhou city in China's southern Guangdong province and its Saturday edition was seen in Beijing on Sunday.
It did not give the name of the hospital in Fuzhou city in Fujian province where the operation took place, but a police officer at Wufeng station in the city, who gave his surname as Huang, confirmed that there were several clashes involving Xie's parent and relatives at the hospital.
Huang said he was not sure of other details surrounding the case, or how it had been resolved.
The newspaper said Xie's parents had lost contact with their son and then saw him as a woman on a television show broadcast in Fuzhou in September.
"They then went to the plastic and cosmetic surgery hospital in Fuzhou to seek compensation because their family line had been broken," the newspaper said.
China's one-child policy means that most urban families have only one offspring, and traditionally boys have been preferred to girls. China is also a conservative society where sexual issues are not freely discussed.