The juvenile justice board on Tuesday awarded correctional sentence to two juveniles for gangraping a photojournalist and a telephone operator at the Mahalaxmi-based Shakti Mills compound last year.
The board, which comprised Gauri Jadhav, principal magistrate and Mary Chettiar (member), found both the juveniles guilty on charges of rape and criminal conspiracy and while pronouncing the maximum sentence, ordered that the juveniles be sent to Borstal School, Nashik to learn good behavior for three years.
Ujjwal Nikam, special public prosecutor, in his arguments said that considering the cruelty, maximum sentence should be given to the juveniles. Nikam, said, “A total of 12 witnesses in the telephone operator case and 25 in the photojournalist case were examined. Clear conspiracy was involved as a plan was hatched before the crime was committed.”
The school has been directed by the board to provide vocational guidance and counseling to the minors. The prohibition officer has been directed to submit a monthly report to the board.
New juvenile law must not succumb to 'lynch-mob coterie'
While the order was being read, the grandmother of one of the juveniles told HT that she was satisfied with the sentence.
The 22-year-old photojournalist was gangraped by Vijay Jadhav, Mohammad Qasim Shaikh, Mohammad Salim Ansari, Siraj Rehman Khan and a minor boy when she had gone to the Shakti Mill compound with a male colleague for an assignment on August 22 last year.
The five accused were subsequently arrested.
After the photojournalist’s case came to light, a 19-year-old telephone operator who was also gangraped at the same apot by five persons — Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Qasim Shaikh, Mohammad Salim Ansari, Mohammad Ashfaque and a minor — on July 31 last year registered a police complaint.
Shaikh, Jadhav and Ansari, the three convicts common to both Shakti Mill gangrape cases, were sentenced to death in April this year while Khan and Ashfaque, convicts in one case each, were sentenced to life imprisonment.