Sheena Bora murder: What we know and what are the grey areas
More than a week after Indrani Mukerjea was arrested for allegedly killing her daughter Sheena Bora, the case has only turned more complicated with police still searching for answers to numerous questions. Here is a list of what police claim are confirmed facts and some matters that are still in the realm of assumption.india Updated: Sep 03, 2015 21:25 IST
More than a week after Indrani Mukerjea was arrested for allegedly killing her daughter Sheena Bora, the case has only turned more complicated with police still searching for answers to numerous questions.
Here is a list of what police claim are confirmed facts and some matters that are still in the realm of assumption.
What we know:
1. Sheena was killed on April 24, 2012, allegedly by Indrani and her former husband Sanjeev Khanna with the help of her driver Shyam Rai.
2. Indrani had passed off Sheena as her sister to her husband Peter Mukerjea and everyone else.
3. Sheena was working with Mumbai Metro One Pvt Ltd at the time of her death; Indrani later allegedly sent an email from Sheena’s email ID that said she was resigning from her job.
4. Indrani told everyone, including her husband Peter Mukerjea and Rahul, his son from an earlier marriage, that Sheena had gone to the US for higher studies.
5. Sheena, 24 years old when she was killed, was in a relationship with Rahul and was living in with him in Mumbai.
6. Sheena’s passport was found from the home of Rahul’s maternal grandparents in Dehradun.
7. Sheena has a younger brother Mikhail, who lives in Guwahati with their ailing maternal grandparents.
8. Sheena and Mikhail’s biological father is believed to be Kolkata-based Siddharth Das, with whom Indrani reportedly had an affair while they both were studying in Shillong. According to reports, they never married.
What police are trying to figure out:
1. Police recovered parts of a human skeleton from a forested area in Maharashtra’s Raigad district in 2012. It is the same place pointed out by Indrani’s driver Shyam Rai where the body of Sheena was disposed. However, police are yet to scientifically establish whether the remains found in 2012 were of Sheena.
2. Police are yet to establish the motive for Sheena’s murder though they are probing several angles, including finances allegedly siphoned off from INX Media, the firm founded by Indrani and Peter.
3. Why did Sanjeev Khanna agree to help Indrani after their bitter separation more than a decade ago?
4. The financial transactions between Indrani and Sanjeev Khanna too are under the scanner as police are trying to ascertain if he received a hefty payoff for allegedly helping in the murder.