Shibu Soren escapes bomb attack | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 30, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Shibu Soren escapes bomb attack

A convoy carrying the ex-minister is attacked during his transfer from a court in Giridih to the Dumka jail, reports Brajesh Verma.

india Updated: Jun 25, 2007 22:06 IST
Brajesh Verma

It was a narrow escape for Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief Sibu Soren on Monday when some miscreants hurled two crude bombs on his caravan near Dumari village situated between Sarath and Madhupur blocks of Deoghar district.

However, only one bomb exploded but no one was hurt. Soren was returning under tight security from Giridih after appearing before the court in connection with Kudko murder case.

According to Santhal Parganas IG HK Mishra, Sibu Soren was safe and others too escaped unhurt. The IG said that two country-made bombs were hurled on Soren's caravan but only one bomb exploded. Three persons identified as Rajendra Rai, Rajkishore Rai and Mukesh Mehra have been taken into custody by the Madhupur police for interrogation in this connection.

The DIG of Santhal Parganas, the SP and the DC of Deogahr and other local police officials rushed to the spot immediately after the incident. Sibu Soren reached Dumka Central Jail amidst tight security at about 3.45 pm.

The police said that the incident took place at around 12.30 pm today near Dumari village, 65 kilometres from the district headquarters of Dumka while Sibu Soren was returning from a Giridih court.

Sibu Soren's lawyer and one of the eyewitnesses of the incident, Sanjeev Kumar, who was in the caravan, told the Hindustan Times that as their motorcade reached near Dumrai village while returning from Giridih a bomb explosion was heard. It appeared to be targeted at the ambassador car in which was travelling Sibu Soren along with one securityman and a doctor, the lawyer said. "Since the car was in high speed, the bomb missed it," he added.

He further said that there was a handpump near the incident site where two persons were seen standing at the time. The security personnel immediately stopped the car. One live crude bomb was also found there. Within half an hour the local police reached the spot, he said, adding that the security personnel decided to rush to Dumka. Later, the police defused the unexploded bomb found at the place.

After the incident, Soren's convoy was provided extra security before being driven away.

Earlier in the day, the JMM chief had appeared before the Additional District and Sessions Judge, Pankaj Kumar, in Giridih in a decade-old triple-murder case.
The judge posted the next hearing for July 25 as witnesses did not turn up.

Soren was one of the accused in the case of triple murders in 1974 at Kudko under Pirtand police station in Giridih.

Soren, serving a life-term for the murder of his private secretary Sashinath Jha, was shifted to Dumka Central Jail from Tihar Jail in January this year.

The former Union Minister is also facing charges in the 1975 Chirrudih massacre case and has appeared before a Jamtara court several times.