Shootout at busy Ghaziabad crossing | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 24, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Shootout at busy Ghaziabad crossing

india Updated: Oct 30, 2009 00:07 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal

The Mohan Nagar crossing, hardly 10 minutes from the Delhi border at Anand Vihar, is one of Ghaziabad’s busiest intersections.

On Thursday, it was the scene of a fierce shootout between the police and an alleged criminal.

‘dreaded criminal’

Police said the alleged criminal, Ravinder Tyagi from Modinagar, was involved in 36 cases of robbery and a murder. Police had placed a reward of Rs 50,000 on his arrest.

While Tyagi was gunned down by the Ghaziabad police, three personnel of the police’s Special Operations Group (SOG), including a sub-inspector, were critically injured.

The encounter

Sub-inspector Anil Kaparwan and two other SOG men, Paramjeet Singh and Aditya Bhati, intercepted Tyagi near the Mohan Nagar crossing around 12.45 pm on Thursday, police officials said.

“Sensing that the SOG men were closing in upon them, the two men who were heavily armed with carbines and .38 caliber pistols, started firing indiscriminately on the SOG group,” said SSP Akhil Kumar.

Kaparwan and Singh were shot in the chest and abdomen respectively, and Bhati was lucky to be shot only in his arm, doctors said.

While Tyagi died shortly after the encounter, his accomplice escaped from the spot, police said.

There was panic at the busy intersection as the gunshots rang out.

People ran helter-skelter on hearing the shots. “I thought that they were crackers. But soon I realised that men in the Honda City were firing on three men and had managed to hit them. But the policemen managed to shoot one of them down while he was trying to get out of the car,” said an eye-witness on condition of anonymity.

In all, 30 rounds were fired from both sides, police said.

“Tyagi was declared dead at MMG district hospital after he was shot down in retaliatory fire,” Kumar said.

The three injured SOG men managed to drive their Maruti Esteem to the nearest hospital and were later rushed to the ICU of Yashoda Hospital for major surgeries, police said.

Inspector General (IG) of Meerut Range, Javed Akhtar visited the injured personnel and also inspected the shootout site.

“The condition of SI Kaparwan and Paramjeet Singh was stated to be serious and critical at the hospital and major surgeries were performed in the afternoon,” the SSP said.