Silence in the stadium! | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Silence in the stadium!

india Updated: May 25, 2008 03:00 IST
G. Mohiuddin Jeddy
G. Mohiuddin Jeddy
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The Navi Mumbai police are at it again. After forcing Indian Premier League (IPL) cheerleaders to tone down their dances and clothes, they’ve made it clear that loudspeakers will not be allowed after 10 pm during the tournament final that will be played at D.Y. Patil Stadium, Nerul, on June 1.

IPL’s evening matches begin at 8 pm as will the final and end well after 11 pm, with cheerleaders dancing to music played on the speakers.

Navi Mumbai Police Commissioner Ramrao Wagh told Hindustan Times, “We have instructed the organisers to ensure there is no violation of noise pollution norms. The Supreme Court has banned loudspeakers after 10 pm.”

The police have gone a step further by booking the event organisers, Wizcraft, for violating the deadline during the Mumbai-Hyderabad match held at the stadium on April 27.

“We booked the organisers for violation of the noise norms under the Bombay Police Act. The organisers, instead of paying the fine, contested our action. The matter went to court.”

Public Prosecutor Balasaheb Khopade pressed for stern action, asking the court to apply a tougher section of the law. “The police charged Arun Shetty, an employee of Wizcraft, under Section 33N of the Bombay Police Act, which merely results in a fine of Rs 500. I requested the court to try the case under Section 33R, which can result in a three-month jail term.”

Khorpade claimed the court acceded to the request on May 20. “I asked for inclusion of the IPL franchisees, Reliance Industries and Wing Sport India, who are also responsible for seeking permission for loudspeakers, in the case. That request was not granted. I will seek to include their names during the trial.”

On May 7, the Mumbai-Jaipur night match was held at the stadium, but no action was taken. When asked why, Wagh said: “The noise level did not violate the norms.”