It was on her second attempt that the 30-year-old unidentified woman succeeded in kidnapping the three-day-old boy from the neonatal ward of Sion Hospital on Thursday, said eyewitnesses on Friday.
They said the woman had earlier tried to kidnap another infant from the same ward but failed as other patients noticed her doing it.
“It was around 7.30 am that the woman came and sat beside us and told us that she had had a series of miscarriages and she was not able to keep any baby,” one of the patients in neonatal ward number 10 said, requesting anonymity. “In the course (of conversation), the woman approached another bed wherein a baby was sleeping. She picked up the baby but we stopped her and told her not touch the baby as his mother had gone out for some work.”
It was then that Mohini Nerulkar, mother of the kidnapped baby, went to the bathroom to wash a couple of napkins. The accused took advantage of the situation and sneaked away from the ward with the baby.
“When I reached the bathroom and opened the tap, I felt that something wrong had happened to my son. I immediately rushed to the ward and having found my baby missing, I inquired with other patients who were not aware about it,” Nerulkar said. “Suddenly it occurred to us that the woman was also missing from the ward. Thereafter, I ran till the main entrance but there was nobody.”
Nerulkar approached the doctor in the ward, following which hospital authorities beefed up security.
The kidnapped baby was the couple’s third child after two daughters. Nerulkar’s husband Mohan said he would not leave the hospital until and unless they brought the baby back to him.