Alarmed by the rising opposition for a Metro car depot at Charkop, the state government has decided to reduce the size of the car shed from 47 hectares to 12 hectares.
This move will help save about 19,500 settlements, which were supposed to be demolished as part of building a larger car depot for the 32 km Charkop-Bandra-Mankhurd Metro line.
“We have decided to change the alignment of the car shed so that there is minimum displacement. The new car shed will come up on 12 hectares instead of the 47 hectares,” said Metropolitan Commissioner Ratnakar Gaikwad.
The proposed car shed at Charkop was planned for servicing and maintenance the Metro coaches after their daily runs. Local residents and politicians were opposing the car shed as it would have led to displacement of nearly 20,000 families.
Recently, when the state government called for objections from the people over the proposed line, 8,500 objections had poured in.
Nearly 2,000 speakers also lined up to oppose the project during a public hearing chaired by Urban Development Department Principal Secretary TC Benjamin.
Gaikwad said the change will affect some mangrove land and they are seeking permission from agencies including Ministry of Environment and Forests. “With this changed alignment, only 500 settlements will be affected,” Gaikwad said.
The displaced eligible for rehabilitation will be provided houses in the same area. There had been concerns among the bidders in building the Charkop-Bandra-Mankhurd line because of opposition by residents at Charkop for the project.
All the seven prequalifed bidders who had earlier evinced interest in building the Metro stayed away from submitting their financial bids on February 13. The MMRDA was then forced to extend the bid submission dates and the final bids will now be opened on Friday.