Panicked customers headed for exits and emergency alarms rang through the upmarket Select Citywalk mall after a section of the multi-storey complex in south Delhi got filled with smoke Thursday afternoon.
Shoppers as well as employees at the shopping complex in Saket were evacuated immediately, sources said. No one was hurt.
Sources said the mall emergency staff found thick white smoke billowing out of Amichi, an eatery that serves Italian food and counts wood-fired pizzas among its specialities.
“There was a minor smoke incident in a cafe. No damage to property or any person. There was an oven malfunction that was rectified within a few minutes. Shopping centre continued to be fully operational,” an official statement said. Mall authorities said there was no fire.
Exhaust fans in the kitchen abruptly stopped and smoke filled the cafe and then spread to other parts of the first floor, an eyewitness told HT, refusing to be identified.
“Windows were opened to let out the smoke. We came back in within half an hour,” a mall staff said.