Strict action against Modi's securitymen: Maharashtra CM
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan today said his government will take strict action and file cases against the security personnel of Indian Premier League chief Lalit Modi for attacking media persons.india Updated: Apr 21, 2010 20:02 IST
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan on Wednesday said his government will take strict action and file cases against the security personnel of Indian Premier League (IPL) chief Lalit Modi for attacking media persons.
He was replying to an issue raised in the state assembly by Leader of Opposition Eknath Khadse who pointed out that media persons who had gone to cover Modi's arrival from Dubai were beaten up by his security personnel.
"Attacks on the media are becoming a routine matter. Despite assurances by the government in the past that such offences would be made non-bailable, nothing has been done so far," Khadse said.
Assuring action, Chavan said he also spoke to Home Minister RR Patil about the issue.
Around half a dozen media persons sustained injuries while TV cameraman Santosh Nandi was admitted to Sion Hospital with serious injuries after a couple of private bodyguards from Modi's entourage prevented the media from speaking to him and attacked them.
The Sahar police station has registered cases against at least two of Modi's security personnel, but details are not yet available.