Student's killing sparks protest | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Student's killing sparks protest

india Updated: Nov 03, 2008 15:32 IST

Highlight Story

A 22-year-old youth was shot dead on Monday by police when he was returning from a party in the wee hours in Bhiwani on Monday, his family alleged, but the cops claimed it was a case of accidental firing.

The main accused, constable Karmbir has been arrested and a case against seven other personnel of Hisar's Hansi police has been registered, Superintendent of Police, Bhiwani, Sanjay Singh said as the killing of Kuldeep, a student of Vaish College in Bhiwani, sparked violent protests in the area with mobs damaging police vehicles.

Kuldeep's brother Vikas, who along with another friend was with the victim when the incident took place, alleged that they were proceeding towards their house on a motorcycle when a police van suddenly stopped them.

One among the personnel, some of whom were in plain clothes, fired a shot "from point blank range" at Kuldeep, he alleged. He said after the firing, the police inquired about their whereabouts. Kuldeep fell from the bike and died on the spot, he claimed, adding the police team fled from the site.

Hukam Singh, who was also travelling with the two brothers, alleged that the policemen were inebriated and manhandled them before firing at Kuldeep.

However, Hisar Superintend of Police Anil Kumar Rao said that the gunning down of student by Hansi police was not an encounter but a case of accidental firing.

He said that police had stopped the youths as it had information that one Dara Singh, a prime suspect in a robbery case of Rs 2.16 lakh in Sorkhi village in May, was in Bhiwani.

When the police signalled the motorcycle to stop at midnight, the youths tried to speed away, Rao claimed

However, police party chased them on the Tosham-Bhiwani road and when police came near the motorcycle, a constable's gun went off as the condition of the road was not good, the Superintendent claimed. "It is a case of accidental fire and not an encounter," he said.