The Bombay High Court on Thursday directed the state government to submit the Pradhan Committee report, which probed the police's responses and lapses during the 26/11 terror attacks, in a sealed cover.
The court was hearing petitions filed by advocate V.P. Patil and The Society of Indian Law Firms.
Patil, who had earlier filed a petition seeking action against top police and intelligence officers for failing to prevent the 26/11 attacks, had filed another application seeking a copy of Pradhan Committee report.
Public Prosecutor Satish Borulkar said the Pradhan Committee report has not been made public due to security reasons.
The division bench of Chief Justice Swatanter Kumar and Justice A.M. Khanwilkar then directed the government to submit the report in a sealed cover by August 6.
When the high court was informed that there are only 200 bulletproof jackets and four fibre helmets for the 461-strong Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS), it rapped the government for its lackadaisical approach towards the safety of citizens and policemen.
The court then sought an affidavit from Chief Secretary Johny Joseph as to why sufficient equipment and bulletproof jackets were not provided to the ATS, till date.
When the bench inquired if there was any threat perception to the city, Additional Commissioner of Police Parambir Singh, who was summoned to court, said they have “non-specific information” on threat.
Additional Chief Secretary Chandra Iyengar also filed an affidavit on Thursday stating that the state government has granted a special sanction of Rs 126.22 crore for upgrading security in the city.
An additional budgetary provision of Rs 175 crore has been made for modernising the police force too, the affidavit added.
The court then directed Iyengar to file a fresh affidavit explaining how much money has actually been spent and on what.