Countering the dismissive reports in the media regarding the “resumption of Indo-Pak talks” in New Delhi on Thursday, Pakistan Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir on Friday said the dialogue was fruitful to the extent it provided a pathway for peace.
However, moments after this statement on this of the border at Attari, Bashir crossed over to Pakistan, and his tone changed. Talking to the Pakistani media, he would not say the talks were a success, and criticised India for “not offering anything to discuss but terrorism”.
Before returning from India along with his eight-member delegation, he said the whole purpose of this dialogue was to understand each other better. Good progress had been made towards the end goal of sustainable peace, he said.
“Let us not keep talking about talks, but proceed further to get on to the highway to peace,” he said, adding his country was looking forward to a more meaningful dialogue during the upcoming SAARC summit.
Regretting the beheading of a Sikh in Peshawar, he said those responsible for the crime would be brought to book.
“The minority communities are no less important for Pakistan,” he said.