Sufficient clues about perpetrators: Patil
Patil expressed confidence that the Indo-Pak peace initiative would not be derailed by such incidents.india Updated: Feb 19, 2007 20:31 IST
Government on Monday claimed it had 'sufficient information' about the perpetrators of the deadly blast in Samjhauta Express but declined to identify them fearing misuse.
"No names should be hastily concluded," Home Minister Shivraj Patil said to repeated queries from reporters as to who were behind the incident.
He said, "We have sufficient information. But we are not going to reveal it now as it may be misused to hamper the investigation."
Patil, who visited the blast site on Monday morning and later the Safdurjung Hospital where the injured were being treated, expressed confidence that the Indo-Pak peace initiative would not be derailed by such incidents. "I feel people on both the sides will act responsibly."
Disagreeing with a questioner that the incident was yet another example of 'intelligence failure', he retorted "we are not in the game of blaming each other."
About the nature of the explosive, Patil said a 'new type' of material was used this time which caught fire quickly and the flames spread rapidly.
This was evident from the manner from which the two bogies were badly burnt and iron rods inside had even melted, he said, adding the explosives were packed in suitcases.
He said the identity of the deceased, who had been charred beyond recognition, was being ascertained.
The Home Minister said tough action would be taken against the perpetrators of this ghastly crime.