Sunanda case: Tharoor’s driver, help quizzed by SIT | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 16, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Sunanda case: Tharoor’s driver, help quizzed by SIT

india Updated: Jan 09, 2015 01:14 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The special investigation team (SIT) constituted to probe the Sunanda Pushkar murder case interrogated on Thursday Bajrangi and Narayan Singh — the driver and domestic help of Sunanda’s husband Shashi Tharoor.

In a letter to Delhi Police commissioner BS Bassi in November last year, Tharoor had alleged that the police was “intimidating” Narayan to implicate him in the case. Both Bajrangi and Narayan were with the couple the day Sunanda was found dead at a posh hotel in south Delhi on January 17, 2014.

Narayan refused to take any questions when HT contacted him on Thursday.

Sources said the SIT will record statements of the hotel employees who had opened the door with the help of a duplicate key on the day of the incident. Police will also quiz the doctor, who had reached the hotel room and pronounced Sunanda dead.

Bassi also refuted reports that the police have issued a notice to Tharoor. The top cop said they were preparing a list of the persons who would be interrogated.

Although Bassi refused comment, it is learnt that the SIT will soon visit Kerala to question Tharoor who is expected to come out on Friday after his 14-day medical programme at a wellness centre there.

At Tharoor’s Lodhi Estate residence, the security guards said no Delhi police officer had come to the house since the case has been registered.

Apart from the injury marks reported and mentioned in the AIIMS report, the FIR in the case — no. 4/2015, registered at the Sarojini Nagar police station, a copy of which is with HT — mentions a ‘teeth bite mark’.

Some officials believe that the murder case was registered because BJP leader Subramanian Swamy threatened to move court. But another officer said the FIR was necessary for the viscera sample to be sent abroad, as a foreign country would not have accepted the sample without an FIR.

For six days, no one had a clue about the FIR. Another senior officer questioned the way it was revealed to the media. “What was the need to inform the media all of a sudden, if they were not going to make any arrests? It is interesting to note how the police have come to the conclusion that it is a murder, when they themselves say they aren’t sure if the poison was injected or administered?”