Suspected Maoists abduct official in Jharkhand | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Suspected Maoists abduct official in Jharkhand

india Updated: Feb 13, 2010 17:03 IST

IANS
Highlight Story

Suspected Maoist rebels abducted a government official from Jharkhand's East Singhbhum district on Saturday, police said.

"Prasant Kumar Layak, a block development officer (BDO) posted at Dalbhumgarh block of East Singhbhum district, was abducted by four armed men on Saturday afternoon from near the block office," police spokesman V.H. Deshmukh told IANS.

"The borders of the district have been sealed and combing operations have been launched to rescue the abducted official," he added.

Dalbhumgarh block of East Singhbhum district is around 160 km from Ranchi.

Layak is the third BDO who has been abducted by the Maoist rebels in the last six months in Jharkhand. Two BDO rank officers, posted in Hazaribagh and Palamau, were abducted last year but later released after police launched combing operations.

BDOs are the highest authorities at the block level responsible for development work.