Sutil 11th, Force India returns empty-handed from Chinese GP | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Sutil 11th, Force India returns empty-handed from Chinese GP

india Updated: Apr 18, 2010 19:04 IST

Force India's point-scoring streak came to an abrupt end in a chaotic Chinese Grand Prix on Sunday with Adrian Sutil finishing 11th while his teammate Vitantonio Liuzzi retired after an opening lap brake problem.

On a day when changeable rainy conditions created a lottery for tyres and position, only 17 drivers brought home the car, the last being Hispania's Karun Chandhok.

"It is disappointing to see our run of points end and not to have been able to make more of these conditions, but that's sometimes what happens in this type of conditions," Force India chairman Vijay Mallya said after the race.

"We've got some work to do now that Renault has opened up a sizeable advantage but we have some developments in the pipeline and the season has a long way to run. We'll regroup and come back strongly in Spain I'm sure," said Mallya, also the team principal.

Sutil reckoned strategy was crucial on Sunday and felt things could have been slightly different but for the last pit stop which cost him a couple of extra seconds.

"It was a real strategy race this time. At times it was difficult to know which was the best tyre to be on, as it would rain and then dry and then rain again," Sutil said.

"I lost a couple of positions in this final stop and that was what dropped me back to 13th. Although we could close to within a second of Michael (Schumacher) I just ran out of laps to get past. But that's how it is, sometimes you win in this type of race and sometimes it just doesn't go your way," he said, rather philosophically.

Liuzzi was equally upset after a premature end to his race when he spun his Force India into Kamui Kobayashi's BMW Sauber and Sebastien Buemi's Toro Rosso, bringing out the safety car.

"Unfortunately I had a problem warming up the brakes on the formation lap due to the cold and the rain and then when I went into corner four on the first lap and braked, the rear completely locked and I lost control of the car and went off," explained the Italian.

"It was a shame as we had had a really good start and gained three positions in just the first corner and it could have been a very interesting race, particularly with how the conditions panned out," he rued.

It turned out to be a McLaren one-two as Jenson Button won a nail-biting race, just ahead of teammate Lewis Hamilton.