Unfazed by Karunanidhi’s legal notice against him, Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy on Monday sought prosecution of Tamil Nadu CM M Karunanidhi for his alleged misuse of office in the allotment of residential properties to ineligible and influential people.
Speaking to media people after submitting a memorandum, complete with the proof of irregularities in the allotment of land under the discretionary quota by the chief minister, Swamy said rules were flouted with impunity and as such it amounted to corrupt practice, just like what happened in Karnataka where chief minister BS Yedurrappa favoured his own children to allot land.
“The governor of Karnataka did not waste any time in sanctioning prosecution of the chief minister there. Likewise, I hope governor Barnala too would promptly give sanction to prosecute Karunanidhi,” Swamy said and threatened that he would move the court if the sanction did not come within the prescribed three months time.
Swamy, who had sought time from the governor, however could not meet him in person as “he was unwell. I submitted the memorandum to an official of the governor, his ADC along with proof of the irregularities,” he said.
The rules of the Tamil Nadu Housing Board (TNHB) are clear on allotment of land. The applicant should not possess any land or house or flat in the city. But the chief minister exceeded his authority and committed a corrupt act, the Janata Party president said demanding his immediate resignation on this count.
“For Karunanidhi’s prosecution in the 2G Spectrum scam, I do not need any permission as it was a private arrangement between former telecom minister A Raja and the chief minister,” he said and dismissed the legal notice sent by Karunanidhi as one that exposed his utter lack of understanding of the criminal law.
“I have not received any notice. And even if I get it, I will throw it into the dustbin,” Swamy said daring Karunanidhi to meet him in the court. “He will get defeated like he did in 2005 in the courts,” Swamy boasted saying that he had every proof with him and would not have ventured out to prosecute him without proof.
“I am not a journalist like you to say anything just like that. I will be held accountable. So , I do not proceed unless I have proof for what I am alleging,” Swamy told Hindustan Times in response to a question.
“The TNHB rules clearly state that land cannot be allotted to well to do persons and to those already owing a plot, apartment or a house. Here the land has been allotted to IAS officials and others,” Swamy said.
When pointed out that the discretionary quota has already been abolished in Tamil Nadu, Swamy quipped that it did not take away the criminal element of misuse of official position and even if the lands are returned now, the chief minister would be liable to prosecution.
Swamy said he had readied some 23 documents relating to Karunanidhi and the housing scam petition was the first one.
The housing scam allegation is the second one Swamy fired at Karunanidhi after petitioning the CBI court in Delhi to implicate Karunanidhi in the 2G Spectrum case. On Saturday, Swamy named Karunanidhi as a co-accused along with former telecom minister A Raja in the 2G Spectrum scam in his complaint to a CBI court. "I had named DMK chief Karunanidhi as a co-accused along with Raja in the matter and many more names will be added," Swamy told press persons.
On Sunday, the chief minister hit back sending a legal notice to Swamy asking him to retract his statement within 24 hours, failing which to face criminal proceedings.
Far from retracting, Swamy rubbished the notice saying that he would throw it into the dustbin if and when he received. Denying that he had received any notice so far, Swamy boasted that he would “teach Karunanidhi a lesson like the one I taught him in 2005”.
“Let him take me to court. He will be beaten like he was in 2005 and he knows it too,” Swamy replied when asked about the legal notice.
Meanwhile, AIADMK general secretary J Jayalalithaa on Monday extended her full support to Swamy in his crusade against Karunanidhi on the 2G Scam.
In a statement, the AIDMK supremo alleged that the chief minister’s family was a beneficiary of the 2G Spectrum scam funds.
When asked about Jayalalithaa's support, Swamy said he thanked her. "She is an intelligent lady and knows the truth."
Jayalalithaa, in her statement on Monday said "the staunch defence putup by Karunanidhi of former union telecom minister Andimuthu Raja’s murky deals itself is a clear indication that he was one of the biggest beneficiaries of the Spectrum scam, through which the nation as lost an estimated Rs 1,76,000 crore,” Jayalalithaa said in a statement adding that Karunanidhi should be named as a co-accused in the scam as demanded by Swamy in a Delhi court.
“The news about the transfer of funds from DB Realty, a Mumbai-based real estate firm and one of the beneficiaries of the 2G Spectrum scam, to the Chennai-based Kalaignar TV, in which Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi's second wife Dayalu holds 60% shares and Kanimozhi, his daughter by his third wife holds 20% shares, does not come as a surprise. After all, Dayalu is one who reportedly, a according to Nira Radia, received Rs. 600 Crores from her husband's grand nephew, Dayanidhi Maran, to ensure him a berth in the Union Cabinet,” Jayalalithaa said in support of Swamy.
“If the CBI, the Enforcement Directorate and the Income Tax Department, all of whom are involved in the Spectrum Scam investigation do their duty without fear or favour, then the entire Karunanidhi family including Kanimozhi, Rajathi and Karunanidhi himself will have to cool their heels behind bars, for a large chunk of the spectrum kickbacks has landed in their kitty,” the AIDMK leader said.