The Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) is narrowing down the area of its probe in the drugs case involving Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Saji Mohan.
Deputy Inspector General of the ATS Param Bir Singh said on Wednesday that three of the Narcotics Control Bureau officials from Chandigarh who had been summoned to Mumbai for questioning would be “handed over” to their parent organisation for a separate probe.
“There is no direct evidence against them in this case. NCB Chandigarh can record their statements,” Singh said.
Meanwhile, ATS sources told Hindustan Times on Tuesday that the decision was based on suspicions that Mohan is misleading investigators.
“It is quite possible that he deliberately dropped those names and claimed their involvement in his trade to further complicate the case,” an officer said.
Mohan had told the interrogators that the officers in question helped him pilfer drugs seized by the Border Security Force (BSF) and stored at the NCB godown.
If it was later confirmed that there had been no such pilferage from the stock, the case would be ruined.
“It seems Mohan is laying a booby trap. We are not going to be caught,” the source said. “He (Mohan) has so far given several theories about the source of drugs. However, none of them has proved true so far.”
For now, the ATS has decided to concentrate on the case pertaining to the possession of drugs by Mohan and his associates — Haryana police constable Rakesh Kumar and fisheries exporter Vicky Oberoi.
The ATS had summoned NCB (Chandigarh) Super-intendent Balwinder Kumar and Constables Devendra Pal Singh and Navin Kumar after Mohan claimed they were involved in his drug-running syndicate. They were treated as ‘suspects’ and grilled for over a week.