Take a crack at our special quiz
In December 97, 25 year-old MIT graduate, Terri Duhon put together what she called the Broad Index Securitised Trust Offering (BISTRO).india Updated: Jan 03, 2009 22:06 IST
1. In December 97, 25 year-old MIT graduate, Terri Duhon put together what she called the Broad Index Securitised Trust Offering (BISTRO). Terri now heads her own London-based consulting firm is thus credited with creating which financial weapon of mass destruction?
2. This image was originally used by Karl Popper while describing the notion of falsifiability in Science. The term was later picked up by a Lebanese scholar who applied it to large-impact, hard-to-predict things such as the rise of the Internet and the events of 9/11 in a book subtitled The Impact of the Highly Improbable. Name him and his book.
3. What three-word phrase, eagerly awaited in 2008, was defined in a short story of the same name as follows: “A precise figure defining the comfort/ humanity/ fellow feeling required between any pair of people for love to survive. If the ____is 0, then love is dead.”
4. In 2005-06, land rates in a particular area around the NH-2 were about Rs. 3-5 lakhs an acre. By 2007, prices had skyrocketed to Rs 25-30 lakh per acre. In August 2008, the prices further escalated to Rs 50-60 lakh per acre. Prices have come down to below 2005-06 levels now. Where and why?
5. They weigh 5.3 milligrams each and travel at 175 m/s. Rohit Brijnath calls them hourglass-shaped agents of change. The importance of quality shows when the ones manufactured by a Chinese
company Qiang Yuan are used. As opposed to German made ones which make a grouping of over 6.5mm, these have a grouping of only 5.4mm, across a 10 m distance. What are we talking about?
6. The architects were Sitaram Khanderao Vaidya and D. N. Mirza, and it was completed by Englishman W. A. Chambers. It used the same variety of steel as the Eiffel Tower, and boasted India’s first steam elevator. During WWI, it served as a 600-bed hospital. In the 1950s, it was the rendezvous for the Goan Liberation Council. Which landmark, bloodied but unbowed, are we talking about?
7. Fill in the blanks: Omari Banks and Vaspert Drakes; ____ and ____; Brijesh Patel and Madan Lal; Don Bradman and Neil Harvey; ____ and _____.
8. Among software developers, what is the name for the menus, buttons and boxes that surround the main windows of a program or even showy features added to attract users? It first made its appearance in September 2008, and has already gained a significant following.
9. In December 1971, she asked him if he was ready for the fight. He replied with the gallantry, flirtatiousness and sheer cheek for which he was famous: “I am always ready, sweetie.” He said he could not bring himself to call her “Madame”, because it reminded him of a bawdy-house. Which famous figure who passed away in 2008 are we talking about?
10. Which movie (see pic) made from this book is already a cult hit, with its music is making waves having got a Golden Globe nomination?
11. Richard Branson’s first Virgin Galactic spacecraft, the ‘VSS Enterprise,’ is to take off in 2009. Branson is so keen to have a certain passenger on board that he offered this person a free ride, saving him some USD 200,000. Who is this?
12. The most common passwords on the net are - ____, 123456, qwerty, abc123, letmein, monkey, myspace1, blink182, your first name. What is the most common?
13. Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines recently announced that they would be merging. If this happens, in terms of fleet size, which airline will this new entity displace from the #1 spot in 2009?
14. They are necessitated by tidal friction, though the glacial rebound slightly ameliorates the effect. There have been no fewer than six in the 1980s, and seven in the 1990s. There were two in 1972. However, the frequency has dropped off in this decade, for unknown reasons. What just-concluded phenomenon are we talking about?
15. Regardless of where you are on its official website, you will be brought back to the home page after 15 minutes. It has already re-written many record books, and promises to do a lot more in 2009. What are we talking about?