Talks on Delhi-UP bus row inconclusive | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Talks on Delhi-UP bus row inconclusive

india Updated: Nov 29, 2006 11:19 IST

Next round of discussion in national capital tomorrow

THE MUCH awaited discussion with the officials of the Delhi and UP governments to find an amicable solution to the ongoing dispute over plying of buses ended here on Tuesday without any result as talks remained inconclusive. However, the only point on which both the parties agreed was another round of talks but this time in Delhi on Thursday.

The Delhi government was represented by a team of officials led by Transport Secretary of the Delhi government, DTC chairman and others while Rajendra Bhaunwal, principal secretary, Transport, Shankar Agarwal, UPSRTC MD, and RP Shukla, Transport Commissioner discussed the issue on behalf of the UP government.

The Delhi team rejected outright the ‘understanding’ reached between the Delhi and UP governments on plying of buses in each others’ territories on August 2, 2004, on which the UPSRTC officials were depending for talks.

In retaliation, the UP officials also rejected various proposals put forth by their Delhi counterparts on one ground or the other at the daylong deliberations. The Delhi team was informed that the UPSRTC had introduced 225 CNG buses for the commuters of Greater Noida and Noida and sought permission to ply those buses on 28 routes that fall under the DTC jurisdiction which would go to 12 terminals of the DTC. Delhi officials assured the DTC buses would ply in UP only on approved and mutually accepted routes and would stop on specific points depending on the convenience of the commuters.

The UPSRTC officials presented a survey report also to prove that over 1.49 lakh passengers travel between Greater Noida, Noida and Delhi every day and the existing deadlock had given a free hand to taxi drivers and others to ferry passengers on these routes.

Transport Minister Naresh Agarwal, however, told Hindustan Times on Tuesday that the issue would soon be amicably resolved as both the parties were the losers while the harassed passengers were the only sufferer. He refused to admit that today’s meeting ended without any outcome and expressed the confidence that a solution would be found at the next meeting scheduled to be held in Delhi on Thursday.