A two-and-a-half-year old boy was killed in a fire at a labourer's house, which spread and gutted nine houses at nearby Swamimalai, police said on Thursday.
According to police, the fire broke out in the hut early Thursday morning following which the inmates ran out in panic leaving the child in. Later, when they rushed back, they found the child with severe burns.
Though the child was rushed to a hospital, he succumbed to burns, police said.
The fire, suspected to have triggered following a spark from a mosquito coil, spread quickly and gutted nine huts, but there were no other casualties.
Fire force personnel rushed to the spot and dousesed the flames.