Work at the Tata Motors small-car project in Singur was affected on Monday with majority of contract workers staying away, as a siege by Trinamool Congress cadres continued for the second day.
"Attendance of the company officials was normal. But that of the contractual workers was less than normal," a Tata Motors spokesman told PTI.
Already facing delay, the company has been racing against time to meet the October-December quarter-deadline for roll out of Nano. The company is also facing cost overruns.
Last week, Tata Sons chairman Ratan Tata threatened to take the project elsewhere despite investing Rs 1,500 crore in Singur if violence and work disruptions continued.
Supporters of Trinamool Congress and other allies started gathering at the dharna site at the main gate since morning amidst massive police arrangement in and around the area.
The agitation, however, remained peaceful and no one was allowed by the Trinamool leadership to go near the Tata Motors plant.
The busy Durgapur expressway continued to be closed and traffic was diverted through the Delhi road and GT road, IGP (law and order) Raj Kanojia said in Kolkata.