Teenaged rape victim dies of injuries in Jharkhand | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Teenaged rape victim dies of injuries in Jharkhand

india Updated: Jul 31, 2013 17:35 IST
HT Correspondents
HT Correspondents
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A teenage girl, who went into coma after a brutal sexual assault allegedly by 5 youths in Jharkhand, succumbed to her injuries at a hospital on Wednesday morning, bringing back memories of the horrific gang-rape of a paramedical student in a moving bus in Delhi last year.

The victim passed away at the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Ranchi early on Wednesday morning, triggering angry protests by people in Ramgarh, about 50kms from Ranchi.

The Delhi gang-rape victim too had passed away at a hospital in Singapore thirteen days after the brutal assault which had triggered massive public protests across the country forcing the government to bring in stringent punishment for crime against women.

Doctors who attended to the Ramgarh victim at the hospital told Hindustan Times that the girl was in coma due to the serious head injuries and the shock. They added that her condition had been deteriorating since the day she was admitted and finally passed away early on Wednesday morning.

The victim's mother had alleged that her daughter was abducted and gang-raped by five youths on July 27. She said that her daughter was returning from college when the incident happened. "They brutally attacked my daughter after raping," she had said.

As soon as the news of the girl's passing away spread, people of Ramgarh came out on the roads and demanded death sentence for the accused. The student community also took out a rally demanding stringent punishment for the culprits.

The angry people also demanded Rs 20 lakh as ex-gratia for the victim's family. The blockade on the highway was removed only after the intervention of the district administration that promised "speedy action".

Out of 5 people who have been accused, the police have so far arrested 2 while 3 are still absconding. A senior police officer told HT that the two arrested have denied the rape charges.

A police offcicer said that Chotu Khan, who was arrested a day after the incident, told the police that the girl's injuries were from a road accident and not rape.

Anish Gupta, superintendent of police (SP) Ramgarh, however, said, "Nothing can be said till the medical reports are out."