Tension after teen killed in firing in north Kashmir | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 26, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Tension after teen killed in firing in north Kashmir

india Updated: Mar 15, 2014 09:37 IST
HT Correspondent

North Kashmir's Bandipora district witnessed tension on Friday evening after an 18-year-old boy was killed in firing by security forces during a clash.

According to police, a mob at Naidkhai Sumbal in Bandipora district, 40 km from Srinagar, attacked a security personnel vehicle. "The mob tried to set it ablaze. The security personnel aboard the vehicle fired in the air to disperse the mob in which one person got injured. He later died on the way to hospital," said a Srinagar-based zonal police headquarters' spokesman.

The civilian was identified as Farhat Ahmad Dar, the son of Ghulam Rasool, a resident of Shahgund, Sumbal.

The police have assured that an appropriate action is being taken into the matter. The incident in which the student lost his life took place around 6.30 pm.

The area was tense following clashes between protesters and security forces soon after Friday prayers.

The intense stone-throwing was followed by deployment of more troops of the Indian Reserve Police (IRP) in Naidkhai area of the district. They busted smoke shells and swung batons to disperse the protesters. However, it was in the evening that the security forces fired, which resulted in the death.

Deputy commissioner, Bandipora, Shah Faisal, said the government has ordered an inquiry into the killing. "I appeal people to maintain peace and calm in the region as the probe has been already ordered," he said.

The death, however, sparked violent protests till late in the evening. Protests also broke out in north Kashmir's Pattan area, the native area of the student who died.

As a precautionary measure, the government detained separatist leaders and their supporters fearing protests on Saturday. Several separatist groups have called for the protests.