Thane gas leak claims two lives | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 04, 2016-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Thane gas leak claims two lives

india Updated: Nov 27, 2010 01:40 IST
Susamma Kurian
Susamma Kurian
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

Three days after battling for life at Sion hospital, two persons succumbed to their burn injuries on Friday.

Ashok Yermule, 34, and his father Bhagwat Balwant, 65, had suffered serious injuries after a fire broke out at their neighbour’s house in Anna Madrasi chawl in Khopat on Tuesday.

The fire broke out following a gas leak at Manohar Pangare’s house, injuring 11 people.

“The deceased’s relatives informed us about the death,” said inspector Hemant Sawant from Naupada police station.

Five members of the Yermule family including his wife Varsha, 25, elder daughter Sakshi, 4, and 11-month-old Samruddhi were admitted to Thane Civil Hospital.

Samruddhi, who had suffered 75% burns, continued to battle death in the intensive care unit at Wadia Hospital. Sakshi, who suffered 55% burns, was responding to treatment, said her relatives.

Yermule, Bhagwat and Varsha were later shifted to Sion hospital while his daughters were admitted to Wadia Hospital.

The only member, who was saved, is Yermule’s mother Suman, 50, because she was upstairs making tea while others were sleeping downstairs.

“I have lost my husband and son. I just hope my daughter-in-law and grandchildren recover else I’ll be left alone,” said an inconsolable Suman.

Pangare and his wife Manali are also undergoing treatment at a private hospital.

“We are awaiting report from the Bharat Petroleum officials regarding the reason behind the gas leak,” said Sawant.