Tharoor admitted to police about tiff with Sunanda | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2017-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Tharoor admitted to police about tiff with Sunanda

india Updated: Jan 11, 2015 22:14 IST
Prawesh Lama


In his first statement to the police days after the death of Sunanda Pushkar, Shashi Tharoor admitted they had had a “small misunderstanding” but that was “cleared” and that their married life was “very happy”. He also said his wife suffered from insomnia and was “dependent on Alprax” and that she had not been eating for the past two days.

The Congress MP’s statement, exclusively accessed by Hindustan Times, was recorded on January 19 last year, a day after Pushkar was found mysteriously dead in her suite at the Hotel Leela Palace in Chanakyapuri.

It comes days after the police filed a case of murder and asked Tharoor to join the investigation, and follows the revelation of the statement made by the Congress leader’s domestic help, Narayan Singh, claiming the couple’s family friend, Sunil Thakru, had visited Pushkar at the hotel two days before her death.

“Our married life was very happy and some small misunderstanding was cleared… We had a minor argument during which she raised her voice but… she became calm and we continued talking,” reads Tharoor’s statement.

It goes on to say Pushkar had “difficulty sleeping at night and was suffering from insomnia… She was dependent on Alprax to sleep. She was not eating for the last two days. She had mushroom soup on January 16 and lunch from my own hands. She also had coconut water and had a vomiting sensation when she was talking about food.”

Emails and SMSes to Tharoor for a comment went unanswered.

Though police recovered two empty strips of Alprax tablets from the spot and it was initially suspected that Pushkar had died from an overdose, the AIIMS post-mortem report clearly said there was no trace of the sedative in her body. The special investigation team is now looking into who may have left the empty strips near her body.

Detailing how he found his wife dead, the statement says Tharoor entered the bedroom with the words “Darling, how are you feeling?” but got “no response”. He found this “unnatural” and then he saw her body had gone cold, following which he informed the police.

Tharoor also mentions that his wife was hospitalised in Kerala for suspected Lupus: “On the morning of January 12, she was admitted to KIMS… thorough check-up of suspected Lupus and other ailments. She was discharged on 14th afternoon and asked to come back after a week after the test results. We flew back to Delhi on the 15th and she checked into a hotel as there was painting work going on at our house.”