THE NOMINEES FOR PUBLIC SERVICE
Dr Sharan Patil: For giving India it's most inspiring medical achievement of the year, with the successful surgery of the eight-limbed two-year-old Lakshmi from Bangalore.india Updated: Jan 17, 2008 15:57 IST
01. Dr Sharan Patil: For giving India it's most inspiring medical achievement of the year, with the successful surgery of the eight-limbed two-year-old Lakshmi from Bangalore.
02. Abhayanand and Anand Kumar, Super 30: For providing free coaching, boarding and lodging to 30 poor students for the IIT JEE Exams every year. For achieving successful scores for 28 out of the 30 students this year.
03. Sushma Iyengar, Kutch Nav Nirman Abhiyan: For single-handedly reconstructing the earthquake ravaged Kutch region of Gujarat and setting new trends in disaster management and rehabilitation of natural disaster victims.
04. E. Sreedharan, Chairman DMRC: For setting a rare work ethic and transforming the face of transportation by effective time-bound execution of the Metro Rail project.
05. Kousalya, Network of Positive Women: For being the first HIV positive truck driver's wife who set up a successful NGO that helps women learn how to fight the virus.
06. Dr Oscar Rebello, Goa Bachao Abhiyan: For leading the relentless fight to save the natural habitat of India's most idyllic state, Goa.