AT LEAST 30 cases of cracker burn injuries were reported in various city hospitals during Diwali. About 20 patients were admitted to Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Hospital and the rest to Balrampur and other hospitals.
A number of people were being treated at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital and KGMU’s Traum Centre.
Most of the victims were children. If Gyandndra burnt his hand while attempting to light an ‘anaar’ in his hand, Rakesh’s fingers in one hand got burnt similarly.
While little Priya just strayed towards a gang of boys burning crackers and got burnt.
In Aminabad, Sheelu Srivastava attempted to light a bomb, it lit well and fast, and before he could run away, the bomb went off injuring his leg. He was given a first aid at Balrampur hospital. Md Asif was having fun with crackers along with his friends as he was celebrating Diwali with them. But they were not taking precautions. And one of the crackers injured him. While wife of Razaak, who was watching fireworks outside her balcony got hurt when one rocket strayed towards her. Her reflexes were slower than rocket and she got a bad burn. She was sent to Balrampur hospital where she was still be treated.
Hospital superintendent, Dr HN Tripathi at Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Hospital said that time both the number of patients were less as well as there were no serious case of injury. The number of patients of Diwali burns this time were drastically less than last or previous years. However, a lot of patients have come from neighboring districts.
Apart from the government hospital a total of 26 burn cases reached the new Sushrut hospital near KGMU.