Thousands move to safer places as Pak ceasefire violations go on

  • Tarun Upadhyay, Hindustan Times, Arnia
  • Updated: Oct 07, 2014 22:11 IST

The spell of terror unleashed by the recent ceasefire violations by Pakistan along the border in Jammu and Kashmir has triggered an exodus in the frontier areas of the state as thousands move to safer places to escape the constant firing, which has so far left six persons dead and several others injured.
Thousands of people have moved to safer places, including the government camps, after nearly 62 homes being partially damaged in about 200 mortar shells, ripping apart their lives.

"When will there be an end to it? When will we return to our homes? We can't live here for long. Our cattle, the only source of income, will die unattended," said Rano Devi, one of the victims of the Pakistan firing. She is one among the several, who have moved from border village of Arnia, which has a population of about 25,000 thousand people, among whom 15,000 of 15 villages live along the border, to a camp put up at Government High School in Deoli.

Three camps have been set up in assistance with the army in Bishnah teshil, where about 2,000 people have already moved in and the figure was likely to increase by the evening. However, the shops remained closed and the town wore a deserted look.

In the nearby RS Pura sector, which was also targeted on Monday night, the government has set up three camps. The government, fearing more loss of lives, is making public announcement, asking people to move to the camps or other safer places.

"How long will we keep migrating? Since 1947 we have been suffering because of Pakistan. It's now our final place and even fear of death can't move us out from here," said Natha Singh, a resident of Treva village, whose home was also hit during the firing.

Singh's parents had migrated in 1947 to Miran Sahib area, from where they came to Treva village during the 1965 Indo-Pak war. The revenue record of their land is still in the name of people, who moved to Pakistan in 1947. He along with his two sons is still staying in the village, while his other three family members have shifted to their relatives place.

Another victim of the firing, Krishan Lal, a resident of Arnia, said he had fixed her daughter's marriage in December and on Monday evening he made last payment of `1 lakh for the white wash. But just after few hours, the shell exploded, ripping apart a major portion of his home. "The freshly painted walls are potholed with splinters,' he added.

"The firing has hit me financially and also affected my daughter. It's not a good omen," said Lal, moving to safer camp.

also read

Ink attack: Accused granted bail, but Jats continue protest against Saini
Show comments