Three months after a devastating fire at a Bahraini labour camp killed 16 Indian workers, three men, including the owner of the company concerned, were formally charged with violating labour and immigration laws.
The Bahraini owner of Royal Construction Towers (RCT), the company that employed the Indians, and two Indian supervisors, have been charged with "providing accommodation without any safety" at the Gudaibiya labour camp where the fire took place, the Gulf Daily News said.
"All three have also been charged with breach of labour and immigration laws," said Indian Ambassador to Bahrain, Balkrishna Shetty.
The two Indian supervisors are now in police custody. The Bahraini owner of the company was admitted to a local hospital on Sunday after he complained of some medical problems, said the report.
Welcoming the arrests, the Indian ambassador said: "This shows that things are moving in the right direction."
"For the Indian government, as stated earlier by Overseas Indian Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi, this is a test case to see how labour issues are settled in Bahrain following the death of 16 Indian nationals," Shetty said.
After the July accident, 200 Indian workers of the company refused to return to work in protest against the poor working conditions.
Last week, the families of the dead Indian workers were told by Bahrain's General Organisation for Social Insurance that they were not entitled to any compensation as the accident did not happen at the work place.