Three girls of a family died in a Jharkhand village and three of their relatives were taken to hospital in critical condition, police said Friday. Doctors suspect food poisoning.
According to police, the family members of Raja Ganjhu ate fried beaten maize prepared in an earthen pot with ghee on Thursday night. They lived in Harbayali village in Balumath block of Latehar district, around 160 km from in Ranchi.
After eating the maize, the members started vomiting and complained of stomach ache. They were then rushed to Latehar hospital.
Three girls - Munia Kumari, 8, Kriti Kumari, 12 and Babita Kumari, 17 - were declared brought dead. Raja Ganjhu, 50, Lalan Kumar, 10 and one-and-half-year-old Funil Kumari have been sent to Rajendra Institute of Medical Science (RIMS), Ranchi. Their condition is said to be serious.
The doctors said the ghee used in frying the beaten maize had been kept for a long time and this could have caused food poisoning.