Nick Faldo has admitted that he would have preferred not to have been paired with Tiger Woods for the opening rounds of the British Open this week, but refused to back down on comments, which sparked a year-long feud between the two golfing greats.
Woods was left fuming over Faldo's criticism of his swing while working as a commentator for ABC television on their coverage of the Buick Invitational last year and reportedly refused to speak to the Englishman for over a year.
Faldo now claims that the pair have "kissed and made up," but admitted that, having not played a competitive round since April, he would have gladly opted for a less high-profile appearance at Royal Liverpool.
"I need just a smidgen more than a week's practice to take on Tiger," he said. "It won't be much fun - head down, blinkers on," he said.
"It's not what I would have chosen, not when I am totally unprepared. It's throwing me in the deep end of the spotlight but we will muddle on."
Faldo's criticism of the Woods swing centred on an iron approach to the 18th green at the Buick, which the world number one pushed well to the right of the green.
Although the miss hit did not prevent Woods from winning the tournament, Faldo insisted his comments were accurate and that he would make them again, a less than conciliatory stance that might make for a frosty atmosphere on the first tee on Thursday.
"I'm paid for my opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion," he said. "I'm going to be right sometimes and wrong sometimes but as long as it's entertaining and the cheque hits the bank I'm happy."